Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crucified Flesh?

There's nothing new under the sun, so let it be known that this is NOT my own original thought.  (Peter Furler maintains that he's not sure any of us ever had an original thought)

But here is what I gleaned from today's study time.  I need to crucify my flesh, with it's passions and desires. And this is the evidence that I belong to Christ.  It's from Galatians 5:15-26

So what does that mean?  It means that when I have passions that are of a sinful nature, I nail them to a cross so that they will die.  There is a list of the passions and desires of the flesh.  It's somewhat disconcerting the things that are on that list.  It goes like this:
  • sexual immorality
  • impurity 
  • debauchery
  • idolatry
  • witchcraft
  • hatred
  • discord
  • jealousy
  • fits of rage
  • selfish ambition
  • dissensions
  • factions
  • envy
  • drunkenness
  • orgies
Long list isn't it  And many of those things I can say with confidence I don't do.  But if I'm honest that only really applies to a few, like drunkenness and orgies and sexual immorality.  The rest I'm pretty sure are part of my repertoire more regularly than I'd care to think about.



I need the Spirit in my to crucify the flesh in me.  I need to willingly submit to that.  I need to be on my knees begging for God to create in me a clean heart.  I need crucified flesh.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment