Monday, October 31, 2011

Am I a 'Victim'?

Victim mentality is something we talk about fairly often in our home.  Having taken in a number of children at older ages has 'brought the topic up' so to speak.

But God has been bringing the idea to my attention for myself over the last few years and recently, even to my husbands mind for himself.

Last Sunday, our Pastor preached on John 5:1-15.  You can check it out here if you like.  He made a statement that really resonated with me.  It was this: "If I always tell myself that I can go back to my old way of doing things then I will".  If that is how I think, then I am choosing to be victim.

Dr William Glasser says "Healthy people do not make excuses."  If I expect to fail, guess what, I am going to fail.  Almost every time that is what will happen.

This applies to sin.  If I have a sin that I struggle with and I keep saying that I just can't seem to overcome it and I make excuses for why it keeps happening then I won't overcome it.

I have to believe that there is a way out in order to find that way out.  I have to persevere and do the hard work in order to win the prize.

For me, I can see this issue most clearly in the area of weight loss.  I have very often had the idea that I may just stay the same and never get past this issue.  That is the sin of unbelief and it is a sin of not persevering.  I CAN lose weight but I have to change.

I don't want to be a victim anymore.  I want to move forward in the power of the Holy Spirit.  I want to pick up my mat and walk.  I want what Jesus has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment